NEXT TOUR DATES
details coming soon
DAY 1: ARRIVAL
- Arrive at Jacksons International Airport, Port Moresby.
- You’ll be met by your Australian guide at the airport and we will make our way to the domestic terminal.
- We are transported to our hotel which is a 10 min drive through Port Moresby.
- We settle into our rooms before our final group briefing about the journey we are about to undertake.
- After dinner we make a final equipment preparations for tomorrow.
DAY 2: PORT MORESBY TO DENIKI
- After our scenic 30min flight to Popondetta we venture up the Kokoda highway, stopping at significant battle sites such as Awala, Gorari and the Kumusi River.
- At Kokoda we explore the Burt Kienzle Memorial Museum and the various monuments on the plateau. This was the scene of the first major engagement of the campaign and we examine the positions where the Japanese attacked the Australian defenders.
- After lunch we head up our first major hill to Deniki and the stunning views back down the Yodda Valley. It was from here that the young defenders of the 39th Battalion looked down to Kokoda and the massing Japanese forces in early August 1942.
DAY 3: ALOLA
- Today we continue our uphill climb before we reach the incredible memorial at the Isurava battle site. Here we examine the large scale and extremely pivotal battle that took place over 4 days in August 1942.
- After lunch we move up toward the Resthouse area which was the scene of another ferocious firefight as the Japanese were trying to outflank the Australian positions.
- We finish our day at Alola which was the location of Brigade HQ during the Isurava battle
DAY 4: TEMPLETON’S CROSSING
- The start of the day begins with a sharp descent and then climb up to the Eora Creek battle site where we observe the position of a Japanese mountain gun deployed against the advancing Australians in October 1942.
- We then descend down to the mighty Eora Creek where we break for morning tea.
- As we begin another climb uphill we pass by old Australian trenches used as defensive positions during the Australian withdrawal.
- A long and challenging day sees us reach the welcome sight of our camp at Templeton’s Crossing.
DAY 5: NADURI
- This morning we start with a sharp climb to the top of Mount Bellamy which is the highest point we reach on the track (2190m).
- We then descend steadily before arriving at the stunning 1900 Crossing camp site where we break for morning tea.
- It’s then onto the Myola airfield and hospital site where we analyze the importance of this amazingly baron dry lake bed area.
- Our afternoon trek has us arriving at Naduri where we visit the grave of one of the last remaining Fuzzy Wuzzy Angels, Ovuru Ndiki.
DAY 6: MENARI
- Our journey this morning takes us to the true heart of the Owen Stanley Ranges … Efogi Village.
- We visit one of the few Japanese memorials along the track, this one dedicated to Japanese soldier Kokichi Nishimura who spent many years in PNG after the war.
- A dry and exposed incline awaits us as we climb up toward Mission Ridge and then to the emotional Brigade Hill battle site. We break here for lunch and an in depth examination of the devastating battle fought in September 1942.
- A long downhill walk has us arriving for a well earned swim in the river by which there is a plaque dedicated to famous Australian war photographer Damien Parer. It’s then onto Menari which is our campsite for the night.
DAY 7: NAURO
- We start our day with a steady climb out of Menari, before descending down a feature known as “The Wall”. This brings us to relatively flat terrain as we walk alongside the Brown River.
- We break for lunch and a relaxing swim at beautiful Agulogo Village.
- After lunch we trek up the beginning of the “9 false peaks” before arriving at picturesque Nauro.
- Today is shorter than most so we have time to wander the village and enjoy the scenic valley views. This area is often characterized by wonderful evening sunsets.
DAY 8: UA ULE
- After completing the remainder of the “false peaks”, we reach the top of the Maguli Range before we descend toward beautiful Ofi Creek where we literally fall into the water to cool off after a long descent.
- We then stop at “Jap Camp” and explore old trenches and a mountain gun emplacement.
- In the afternoon we venture to Ioribaiwa Village which was the furthest point of the Japanese advance in September 1942.
- A trek through a serene creek system under the jungle canopy has us arriving at our final camp of the night.
DAY 9: PORT MORESBY
- This morning we climb the mighty Imita Ridge, where the Australians were preparing to make their final stand against the advancing Japanese.
- We descend toward the Goldie River which provides us with our last river crossing and swim of the journey.
- Following this we have a final 40min climb before we cross under the famous arches, marking the conclusion of our mountain trek.
- After lunch we visit Bomana War Cemetery, the resting place of 3,779 service personnel from a variety of Commonwealth nations.
DAY 10: DEPARTURE
- A lunchtime departure for our flight back to Australia.
- Australian guide with extensive campaign knowledge.
- Experienced PNG based operational team Porters and Management.
- Twin share accommodation in Port Moresby (2 nights).
- Trek doctor or paramedic (St Johns qualified level).
- All meals (except lunch on Day 1 & 10).
- Internal flights and transfers within PNG.
- Access to Australian owned security company in Port Moresby if required.
- Satellite phone on the track for emergency calls.
- Fees for access to artifacts and war relics.
- Use of private tent – one per person if required.
- Campsite fees.
- Kokoda Crossing t-shirt.
- Constant phone support in the lead up to the expedition.
- Equipment familiarisation session with Travis.
- International airfares to and from Port Moresby.
- Travel insurance.
- Spending money (drinks in Port Moresby and on the Track, souvenirs, extra snacks bought from the villagers).
- Trekking equipment (sleeping bags, sleeping mats, backpacks).
YOUR TOTAL COSTS:
- Tour price – $4190. (Personal porters are available if required $620)
- International airfares.
- Travel insurance.