NEXT TOUR DATES
details coming soon
DAY 1: ARRIVAL
- Arrive at Jacksons International Airport, Port Moresby.
- You’ll be met by your Australian guide at the airport and we will make our way to the domestic terminal.
- Flight to New Girua Airport, Popondetta, Oro Province.
- We are collected at the airport and driven 45min to New Buna Village.
- We are treated to a Traditional Village welcome by our hosts and introduced to our beach-side guesthouse.
- Buna is made up of two parts – Old & New Buna. Old Buna remains to this day in original village location that was destroyed during the Second World War. New Buna developed post-war to accommodate the growing population of the village which currently stands at 800.
DAY 2: BUNA
- Wake up to the beautiful ocean views right outside your guest-house. Take a swim in the balmy 25 degree water of the Solomon Sea. After breakfast we begin a tour of the local area with a focus on the military history from WWII.
- Visit the historic grave-site of T.T Logan from the 2/12th Battalion.
- Visit an anti-aircraft gun still in position next to the old Dobodura airstrip.
- Old bomb craters and aircraft engine in the Buna Primary School yard.
- Walk along the road where Raphael Oimari found George Whittington (photo below).
- In the afternoon you can enjoy a leisurely walk along the local beach, with an ocean shoreline populated with coconut palms and beautiful tropical vegetation.
DAY 3: BUNA
- In the morning we take a stroll up to the village of Old Buna where we enjoy a morning tea break on the edge of their picturesque river that flows through the village. We visit the magnificent Buna museum with excellent weapon and artefact collection.
- We walk back toward New Buna through magnificent lush vegetation, observing delightful local homes nestled amongst the jungle. We explore the area known as the “Japanese Triangle” defensive position with several old bunkers.
- After lunch we drive we take a canoe ride to visit the garden area of our local host family where they explain their traditional method of growing and preparing their food.
DAY 4: SANANANDA
- Today we take a 90 min walk along the beach to the stunning village of Sanananda.
- After exploring the amazing military museum we are treated to a delightful local lunch by our host family.
- After lunch you are free to explore the village and even help the villagers with one of their projects such as carving an outrigger canoe that they use for their local fishing expeditions.
- We spend the night in our ocean-side guest-house.
DAY 5: ILIMO VILLAGE
- This morning we leave the coast and take a drive to the intriguing village of Ilimo.
- Although located on the road to Kokoda, Ilimo has rarely hosted tourists for overnight visits and as result they offer an incredible traditional welcome which will leave a lasting impression upon you.
- After a generous lunch expertly prepared by our village hosts, we are free to explore the local surrounds and interact with the local children as they show off their cliff jumping abilities into the stunning river that flows past the village!
- We spend the night in a rustic open air guest-house, under the caring and watchful eye of village elders who offer endearing and sincere appreciation of the interest we take in their lives.
DAY 6: KOKODA
- Our day begins with a drive to Kokoda Village, nestled at the base of the Owen Stanley Range.
- We are hosted at the family property belonging to Henry Amuli, the local member of Parliament for the Sohe Electorate.
- After lunch we visit the Bert Kienzle Kokoda Memorial Museum and explore the Kokoda plateau where the first major engagement of the Kokoda Campaign took place on July 29th, 1942 when the Japanese attacked the Australian positions.
- We learn about the history and incredible performance of our young soldiers from the 39th Battalion as they faced their baptism of fire.
- After lunch we spend time learning about traditional farming and cultivation techniques that the locals have used for many years.
DAY 7: KOKODA
- Today you have the option of walking the first part of the Kokoda Track, up the delightful villages of Kovelo and Hoi. We take this walk at a very leisurely pace and the terrain is not too hilly. You get to see the might of the Owen Stanley Ranges up close and personal.
- After lunch we spend the afternoon exploring the Kokoda area and learn about traditional farming and cultivation techniques the locals have used for many years.
DAY 8: PORT MORSEBY
- This morning we bid farewell to our fantastic hosts and catch our charter flight from Kokoda back to Port Moresby.
- Our next stop is an emotional visit to the Bomana War Cemetery where we pay our respects to the 3779 Commonwealth personnel buried here.
- We then check into our comfortable accommodation at the Lamana Hotel where we can enjoy a well earned shower and a few hours of rest.
- Our day concludes with a quiet drink and dinner overlooking the Harbour at the Port Moresby Yacht Club.
DAY 9: DEPARTURE
- We have one last little adventure before we leave! After breakfast we venture out to the PNG Parliament House where take a tour of building and learn about how their government process work.
- We then re-group back at our hotel before heading to the airport for our journey back to Australia.
- Australian guide.
- Experienced PNG based operational team – Porters and Management.
- Twin share accommodation in Port Moresby (1 night).
- All meals (except lunch Day 9).
- Internal flights and transfers within PNG.
- Access to Australian owned security company in Port Moresby if required.
- Satellite phone for emergency calls.
- Fees for access to artifacts and war relics.
- Use of private tent – one per person if required.
- Campsite fees.
- Kokoda Crossing t-shirt.
- Constant phone support in the lead up to the expedition.
- Equipment familiarisation session with Travis.
- International airfares to and from Port Moresby.
- Travel insurance.
- Spending money (drinks in Port Moresby, souvenirs, extra snacks bought from the villagers).
- Trekking equipment (sleeping bags, sleeping mats, backpacks).
YOUR TOTAL COSTS
- Tour price – $3550
- International airfares.
- Travel insurance